About Marching Band
We are one of the largest band programs in the Upper Midwest, including a 240+ member marching band. The 2017 season will feature our field show “The Underground” including the following musical selections: “Sing, Sing, Sing” by Louis Prima, “Impossible Year” by the group Panic at the Disco, “Symphony #11 mvt 2” by Dmitri Shostakovich, and “Children’s Hour of Dreams” by Charles Mingus.
Lincoln High School has 4 concert bands
- Symphonic Band is our top audition bands — made up of all 4 grade levels. The auditions are completed in the spring the preceding year for all grades, including incoming freshman. There are several concerts throughout the calendar school year including a concert in Mid November in conjunction with the incoming (next year’s) 9th graders. The Symphonic Band plays level 4, 5, and 6 music.
- Concert Band is also an audition band — made up of all 4 grade levels. The auditions are completed in the spring the preceding year for all grades, including incoming freshman. There are several concerts throughout the calendar school year. Concert band plays level 4 music.
- Varsity Band consists of 10th, 11th, & 12th graders that are not in Concert or Symphonic Band. Varsity Band play level 3 music.
- 9th Grade Band is made up of only 9th graders that are not in either Concert or Symphonic Band. Freshman Band plays level 3 music.
All bands rehearse daily on concert music during the school year. Symphonic Band presents a concert in Mid-November with the incoming (next year’s) 9th graders. The Winter concert in February, the Spring concert in April, & the Pops Concert in May involve Freshman Band, Varsity Band, Concert Band, and Symphonic Band. The February & April concerts are typically more formal programs consisting of Marches, Overtures & Program Music. The May Pops concert is exactly as the title suggests a much lighter program.
Lincoln High School has 3 jazz bands
- Jazz 1 is auditioned in the spring the prior year.
- Jazz 2 & 3 are auditioned in the early fall.
We have our Pop-Popcorn & Jazz concert in February in the cafeteria (Cabaret style). The Jazz Bands perform at the Marching Band awards night & the Pops Concert. Jazz One also makes several appearances each year at other events. All three Jazz bands also play at the Lion’s Pancake event.
Lincoln High School has a volunteer pep band that plays at many of the home basketball games. The marching band usually serves as the pep band at home football games.